Sunday, May 2, 2010

Mysterium Workshop Response

I never really realized how 3d worked when filming, so I'm glad I had this experience. Of course it's completely impractical for independent filmmaking (in traditional narrative films anyway) because it requires two of the same camera and they have to be the same width apart all the time. Also its hard to take the end product seriously. It's cool in a rough theater kind of way but as far as something that's aesthetically salient or cohesive with other elements of a film, I'm not sure there's much potential for it. It was fun to learn nonetheless I'm juts having trouble imagining using it in any future projects that were not simply based of the thrill of seeing something pop out of the screen. I like, after having seen the final product, that my face was so prominently featured. I'm on a huge ego trip right now. I think it's safe to say that my beard and Josh's groin were the stars of our project. I would love to try moving the cameras in the next 3d experiment I endeavor in. It could very easily screw up and I guess there would be no way of knowing until trying to match the two videos on top of each other and it never quite working. Which, if it never ended up working, would a monu-fucking-mental waste of time so its risky. Also next time I try 3d of any sort I want some more wacky props. I was just thinking about some kind of experimental short in which there was a 3d vignette, but that would be kind of ridiculous to have to have people throw on their glasses and then take them off. But maybe if the movie was enough of an experience then interaction could be really fun. In the same vein (or it seems so to me... maybe its completely off topic) I'd really like to learn as many different media as possible for animation and off the beaten path filmmaking. I'd also really like learn VJing. I'm very interested in music and I like the multimedia approach to musical performance. For some reason narrative filmmaking is just always too much of a hassle and the end product is always too shitty and the audiences are always too apathetic for me to keep being interested in it. I'm much more interested in these other media for filmmaking now.

No comments:

Post a Comment