Sunday, May 2, 2010

Ranking the projects

Number one would be the found footage assignment. I had never done anything like that before and it was pretty gnarly. I definitely spent the most time on that one out of all the projects I did for this class. I just felt very pasionate about my idea and started to obsess over it. Most projects were done in a few days, this one was over two maybe more weeks. The majority of the work was on sound design and adjustments to the video as the sound evolved. I went through alot of different songs trying to create a composite that I liked before I got to the Thom Yorke song and the Portishead song. Then it started falling together. I used the Thom Yorke song because it has this creeping beat and and alot of weird vocals, alot of breathing and rasping and weird sounds. Then the portishead song just clicked with the overall rythm of the piece. After I found that one I started flipping things in reverse and mashing up the bits of narration from old cigarette commercials. It was alot of fun. I'm definitely not finished with it though. I'd like the sound to come in a few beats earlier and there are some adjustments that definitely need to be made. And I'm sure I would find more and more as I started re editing. My second favorite was the 48 hour video race. It was a pain in the ass but it was a very fulfilling experience to work that long and hard on something with so little stopping time and see it turn out. It's not fanastic. I wish I had had a tripod and the sound was a last minute throw in because I wanted to sleep but overall I think it turned out pretty well and the experiment shots I had of the peanuts dropping and blurring and shaking the camera to blur the whole image looked cool. I'm also proud of myself that no shot lasted longer than three frames. Third favorite was the rythmic edit, again because of sound design. There wasn't much collaboration on the topic that would be shot or how to shoot it but once I started editing and found that Infradig song, the drum beat started to drive the whole thing and it started falling together in a really cool way. Fourth favorite was the film scratching/painting one. I had alot of fun trying different things to the film. I don't remember how well it turned out but it was a fun experience. Fifth favorite was multiplane animation and sixth was the long take. Both seemed liek really cool ideas but my group didn't do too much with them and I wasn't very satisfied with it. Not to blame them, I didn't come up with any better ideas, I just didn't enjoy them that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment